Manet's Les Dejeuner Sur L'herbe


This painting titled  "Les Dejeuner Sur L'Herbe" by Edouard Manet was a painting that fell very interesting to me. When I look at this picture, I see many different things happening. To start off, the first thing to catch my eye, was a woman naked on a luncheon with two nicely dressed men. She is staring right at the painter with nothing but a feel good look on her face. She seems..Okay with what is going on. You can notice in the corner how the fruits, bread, etc are in the basket just right next to her removed clothing. Due to the clothed woman in the back, I feel as though the artist is trying to say something about nudity in this year of 1863. Yes the woman looks reserved in the back, but the naked woman in the front looks like this is something that is casual for her. If you pay attention to her body language, she is, in my eyes, comfortable. The men casually talking and all of them enjoying the time being spent together. One last thing that I noticed was that this scenery seems to be in a setting of a secluded area. The trees are darker and more frequent around each other. So there is some possible background to this painting that the audience at the time might have found very eye opening.
Briana D'Angelo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

L.H.O.O.Q - 1919

White Wave Jackson Pollock

Lito Mayo