Slow Swirl @ the Edge of the Sea (1944)

I found Mark Rothko interesting because as I researched him he moved through many art styles throughout his life. When you first research him you find pieces filled with color portraying squares or rectangles. However, the more I researched the more I saw the progression of his work. Beginning with landscapes and still life, where he eventually progressed to the abstract. I honestly have no idea about what is happening in the above paintin. I just loved how whimsical it felt. The piece displays muted tones with pops of color. Objects and lines are even displayed that add to it's whimsical style/feel. When I researched Slow Swirl at the Edge of the Sea, 1944 he painted it while "courting" his second wife Mary Beistel. So, many people interpret it as almost magical and mythical. As if two figures are watching the sunset. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

L.H.O.O.Q - 1919

White Wave Jackson Pollock

Lito Mayo